- Add PEP 561-style type information
- Support for Python 2.7, 3.5 and 3.6 is removed
- Support for Python 3.9-3.11 is added
- Very large documents (with deep nesting or long tag content) can now be
Selectornow takes a new argument
huge_treeto disable this
- Support for new features of cssselect 1.2.0 is added
SelectorList.remove()methods are deprecated and replaced with the new
SelectorList.drop()methods which don’t delete text after the dropped elements when used in the HTML mode.
- Python 3.4 is no longer supported
SelectorList.remove()methods to remove selected elements from the parsed document tree
- Improvements to error reporting, test coverage and documentation, and code cleanup
Selector.remove_namespacesreceived a significant performance improvement
- The value of
datawithin the printable representation of a selector (
repr(selector)) now ends in
...when truncated, to make the truncation obvious.
- Minor documentation improvements.
has-classXPath function handles newlines and other separators in class names properly;
- fixed parsing of HTML documents with null bytes;
- documentation improvements;
- Python 3.7 tests are run on CI; other test improvements.
SelectorList.attribproperties which make it easier to get attributes of HTML elements.
- CSS selectors became faster: compilation results are cached
(LRU cache is used for
css2xpath), so there is less overhead when the same CSS expression is used several times.
.getall()selector methods are documented and recommended over
- Various documentation tweaks and improvements.
One more change is that
are now implemented using
.getall(), not the other
way around, and instead of calling
Selector.extract all other methods
Selector.get internally. It can be backwards incompatible
in case of custom Selector subclasses which override
without doing the same for
Selector.get. If you have such Selector
subclass, make sure
get method is also overridden. For example, this:
class MySelector(parsel.Selector): def extract(self): return super().extract() + " foo"
should be changed to this:
class MySelector(parsel.Selector): def get(self): return super().get() + " foo" extract = get
SelectorListcan’t be pickled because pickling/unpickling doesn’t work for
lxml.html.HtmlElement; parsel now raises TypeError explicitly instead of allowing pickle to silently produce wrong output. This is technically backwards-incompatible if you’re using Python < 3.6.
- Fix artifact uploads to pypi.
has-classXPath extension function;
parsel.xpathfuncs.set_xpathfuncis a simplified way to register XPath extensions;
Selector.remove_namespacesnow removes namespace declarations;
- Python 3.3 support is dropped;
make htmlviewcommand for easier Parsel docs development.
- CI: PyPy installation is fixed; parsel now runs tests for PyPy3 as well.
SelectorList.getallmethods as aliases for
- Add default value parameter to
.re_first()to turn off replacing of character entity references
- Bug fix: detect
Noneresult from lxml parsing and fallback with an empty document
- Rearrange XML/HTML examples in the selectors usage docs
- Travis CI:
- Test against Python 3.6
- Test against PyPy using “Portable PyPy for Linux” distribution
- Change default HTML parser to lxml.html.HTMLParser, which makes easier to use some HTML specific features
- Add css2xpath function to translate CSS to XPath
- Add support for ad-hoc namespaces declarations
- Add support for XPath variables
- Documentation improvements and updates
- Add BSD-3-Clause license file
- Re-enable PyPy tests
- Integrate py.test runs with setuptools (needed for Debian packaging)
- Changelog is now called
- Fix bug in exception handling causing original traceback to be lost
- Added docstrings and other doc fixes
- Updated PyPI classifiers
- Added docstrings for csstranslator module and other doc fixes
- Documentation fixes
- Updated documentation
- Extended test coverage
- Support for extending SelectorList
- Try workaround for travis-ci/dpl#253
- Add base_url argument
- Rename module unified -> selector and promoted root attribute
- Add create_root_node function
- Setup Sphinx build and docs structure
- Build universal wheels
- Rename some leftovers from package extraction
- First release on PyPI.